Monday, March 5, 2012

Orchids

Ink and watercolor in Moleskin watercolor notebook.

I really love orchids, but I find it hard to paint them for some reason. I always end up with extremely boring paintings. This was a kind of experiment as a way of thinking new in different styles and compositions. The left one is a blind contour drawing, just to get going. In the middle, a classic sketchbook style attempt and to the right a little more experimental style with ink and watercolor on wet paper. Now all that remains is to turn the ideas into watercolors somehow without loosing the expression...

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you should frame these 3 as they are, they've come out very well.

    I liked both the tulip picture and winter one in the earlier posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have a few words about this painting, and that is that this is anything but boring. I think its neat that you have all the different styles right next to each other, the left one has more of a graphic style to it and the one in the middle is traditional with fresh spring twist to it (I like the colours). So boring, nope!!! Interesting, yep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both of you!

    Well, I seem to never consider my journal pages as "paintings", as if the use of ink would be cheating or something. Don´t really know why! Maybe I should start doing ink & watercolor on separate pages and frame them.... :)

    ReplyDelete