Monday, February 6, 2012

New sketchbook

Since I think the Moleskin I have been using is quite hard to draw in, and also does not hold enough water for a watercolor notebook I bound a sketchbook of my own, with different paper in it, to try out some options.

The above is made on Saunders Waterford Satin, which I quite like. The color is added wet on wet and spreads nicely, I think. It dries a little uneven though, so even washes are a bit hard to make.


The second orchid is done with the same technique on Arches Satinée. It is similar to Saunders, but the paper dries even more unevenly, which has a tendency to create backruns and "cauliflowers" when it dries. Also, for some reason, the ink smeared more on this paper! I used Noodler´s black, which is designed to dry waterproof in contact with the cellulose in the paper. I don´t know if this paper contains less cellulose than Saunders since the ink didn´t get waterproof as it should?

The above drawing is made on Saunders again. This time, I wetted the paper completely (and added the green color in the middle of the flower wet-on-wet) before I let it dry and then did the background. This is the way you normally work with watercolor paper since it is wetted when stretched for a painting, and this sure did the trick. It was much easier to create an even wash this way.

2 comments:

  1. I find that too about the Moleskine w/c paper, and its a bit harder than other papers. I still use it when I travel, but making one on my own sounds like a neat idea (great inspiration here : ) I like to see all the different pictures you posted, its good to see how different papers react to the colours (also the pen you have). The last picture is really nice, love how the yellow in the middle and the back ground). They are all lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers! They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete